BlogHer 2010 Wrap Up

13 comments

BlogHer was… a lot. It was wonderful, and I’ll likely go again, but I was totally unprepared for the way it drained me.  I’m introverted after all; shit’s hard, yo!

Rob swung by in the middle of it all and I took the opportunity to bury my face in his neck for a moment to regroup.  He’s better than coffee, that one.

The swag!  MY GOD THE SWAG!  It was not only plentiful, it was amazing.  There are mixed feelings about all the sponsors; I say bring them on.  They keep the cost of tickets down for everyone, making it less exclusive.  This is a good thing.

Highlights include Spanx, a Pur water filter, Play-Doh, Weebles (they really DO wobble but don’t fall down!), and a meat thermometer.  I even played mommy blogger and brought home something for “my kids” – Matty and Tino got stuffed animals and Leeloo got a mousepad.  She likes to use it for an elbow pillow.  It’s weird, but whatever – if it makes her happy, I’m happy, too.

Awesome shit that happened, and pictures:

Lindsay Ferrier walked by me, and I was going to go say hello but she got caught in a conversation.  Maggie, sensing I might wuss out, pulled a “Have You Met Ted?” adding, “She won’t shut up about how much she loves your blog!”

I got to tell Lindsay how fabulous she made my wardrobe.  I’m not a total glamor girl (yet!), but her blog has really helped make my 28th year more polished.  It’s filled with good shopping tips and sale alerts for normal people who shop normal stores – Ann Taylor Loft yes, Gucci no. And she’s totally hot!

Holly introduced me to Yuvonne, and I did this, in this order: squeal, hug her, and then introduce myself awkwardly.  I’ve been reading her blog for-EV-er, and she was one of the handful of people that inspired me to start my own blog back in 2004 (omg.)

Miss Britt is awesome.  “She’s a firecracker!” I said to her husband.  He shook his head.  “More like a grenade.”

A grenade of awesome.

*ker-pow!*

I HUGGED CECILY!  She’s so… gritty!  She opens up about her life in a way few of us would dare to do, and it’s inspiring.

I met the Bloggess.  A lot of people were excited to meet her, none so much as Michael, a reader who recognized her walking down the street.  It was really adorable.

Here is the Jennifer from the Baptist Wine Club holding some balloons at the Kirtsy party.  Sassy foot pop!

Here are Cindy and Elizabeth at the Kirtsy party. They recognized me as “the lady that went flying with Maggie Mason.”  I want that on a tee shirt now.

Here are a group of fancy blogger ladies, and one keeping it real.  This photo makes me laugh.

Here is Gabby Blair (Design Mom) painting on someone’s arm. She wore a full length Dashiki as a dress, and I thought to myself, “Rock on, mom of 6 looking funky!” We should all be as cool.

Here are bloggers in full-on KISS makeup. Sometimes weird things happen at BlogHer.

Here is Melissa, Single Gal in the City, painting at a party.

Here are Holly and Maggie in a cab. Our driver got really mad at another driver and threw a water bottle out of the window screaming obscenities and we were all a little scared when I snapped this.

Here are the ladies from Southern Fried Snark. Despite their name, they are friendly.

Here is me and Heather B (No Pasa Nada). I like her.

Here is Laid Off Dad. He totally held his own in a room full of chicks.

Here is me and Danielle Henderson (Knotty Yarn).  Miss Britt initially mistook her for me, which is totally understandable if you mainly know me via my Twitter icon.  Danielle is a stunning six foot something, though.

I’m totally using this photo to show people “my cute sister”.

August 10th, 2010 | posted in blah blah blah,fun |

13 comments on 'BlogHer 2010 Wrap Up'

1. Nichole

11 Aug 10 at 9:23 pm

I’m really, really introverted, too. And yet, I’d love to go to BlogHer someday! It looks like you had a lovely time. :)

2. theambershow

11 Aug 10 at 10:48 pm

You know what, though? Everyone is introverted. There were SO many people that were all, “OMG THANK YOU!” when I sat down next to them at lunch or grabbed them and declared them “my new friend!” at a party.

We are all lonely, and so, you know, fuck it. I was outgoing, and it was awesome and beautiful. But it WORE ME OUT!

If you come next year, I will totally hang out with you!

3. MainlineMom

11 Aug 10 at 11:25 pm

Great snaps! You and Danielle DO look like sisters. I love Maggie, and Heather B. It was so funny at Mom 2.0 when I told her I’d been reading her blog forever and she was like “Wha?!” I’m not sure she believed me.

4. minnie

11 Aug 10 at 11:38 pm

I’m totally introverted too but deal with it at BlogHer by running up to my room for little 10 minute breaks. totally works!

5. Jessica

11 Aug 10 at 11:53 pm

Looks like so much fun. I’m glad you went and I was able to live vicariously through you.

6. Hope Clary

11 Aug 10 at 11:58 pm

You take tge best photos! You have the gift of capturing the moment.

7. Heather B.

12 Aug 10 at 9:13 am

I was so, so, so happy to meet you and hang out with you and hug you. Seriously. I’m a total fan girl but glad I didn’t scare you away. Thankfully you live just 2.5 hours away so I’m sure I’ll see you again.

P.S. I like you too.

8. FYI Gabrielle is painting on Maria Melee’s arm – aka MommyMelee.com, contributor to Aiming Low.

9. Cecily

15 Aug 10 at 12:33 pm

It was nice to meet you too. I’m awed that I warranted all caps. Plus, being called gritty is my new favorite thing EVER.

10. Miss Britt

19 Aug 10 at 12:08 pm

How am I just seeing this?

And I cannot BELIEVE you told the Internet about walking up to random people in a bar asking if they were you!

11. Miss Grace

19 Aug 10 at 12:17 pm

That arm that Gabby’s painting on belongs to @mariamelee (mommymelee.com). If you don’t know her yet, you MUST! She’s fabulous.

12. Amber, theAmberShow

19 Aug 10 at 12:34 pm

Miss Britt! I thought it was so sweet that you thought she was me!

13. Meg

31 Aug 10 at 12:59 pm

You look like sisters enough that when I see pictures with one of you, I have to pause, and think, “Now which one is that?”

You know. Till I meet you both. In two weeks. As the two other close to 30s. Maybe people will think I’m the middle sister. Achem ;)

PS I am not introverted. That’s a myth about bloggers. I’m actually so extroverted that I blog all the extra sh*t I have to say, because I know people don’t actually want to listen to me talk about it.