life list

Life List: Pick an Orange from a Tree and Eat It Immediately – Check!

Pro tip: In photos, stand behind bushes for a slimming effect!

“Awww yeah.”

“I got dirt in it.” I said, mid-peel, frowning, and Elizabeth shrugged.

“You’re eating something from outside. You get dirt.”

Indeed.

I will shamelessly admit that it was only after spotting the orange tree outside of Elizabeth’s parent’s front door that this got added this to my Life List. Totally allowed.

The sections in these oranges are varied sizes and shapes, and the fruit is extra juicy, so you have to eat carefully if you want to stay clean; something I immediately gave up on. Even when I first dug my fingernails in to open it, oil from the peel misted out and settled in my hair. (Hours later, I could still smell it when I shook my head, and it made me smile.) This is why Elizabeth prefers to make them into oj, but her parents eat them straight up, like I did. The mess was worth it, in fact, it made it more fun. Eating this orange was joyful.

Her dad invited me to take some for home, and there are four that traveled back to New York with me, waiting for me to relive the experience, which I described later to a friend as “like biting into sunshine”. I have a feeling, though, that it won’t be quite the same as eating them while standing in the golden light of garden with smell of orange blossoms drifting on the breeze and Elizabeth making me giggle.

Thanks for the photos, Elizabeth!

6 Comments

1. Daffodil Campbell

25 April 2012 at 1:59 am

I can’t wait for you to get here. There will be much fruit picking.
    xo

2. Daffodil Campbell

25 April 2012 at 2:00 am

I can’t wait for you to get here. There will be much fruit picking. xo

3. Smedette

25 April 2012 at 12:01 pm

Yum. That is that way to enjoy fruit.

4. Laura S.

25 April 2012 at 12:09 pm

I love orange smell! I actually don’t like eating oranges (it’s a texture thing… I have some leftover food issues from childhood), but I’ll happily peel any orange, just for the smell. It’s the best perfume around!

5. Jennifer K

25 April 2012 at 1:57 pm

Wow. This is soooooooooo cool. I have this fascination with lemon trees. In fact, living in D.C. I’ve actually thought of how fortunate those are who have lemon trees in their yards like in CA. I declared just the other day that I must live in CA–for many reasons but especially because of my awe of lemon trees and lemons. I ate boxes of Lemon Cooler cookies growing up. There were scuffles in the living room because of missing Lemon Coolers.
    Oops. Got lost in lemons.

Also, those photos are so perfect. I’m fighting the urge not to get obsessed with eating an orange straight off the tree. I have enough (food) urges as it is.

6. tea_austen

25 April 2012 at 11:55 pm

Yay! This makes me happy. You look joyful!
    I’ve written about Meyer lemons fresh off the tree and said they were like “sunshine made manifest.”
    They straight up are. xox

– This is why we are friends. –