Join the Brainstorm

9 comments

boudoir company names

Boudoir photography been brewing in the back of my brain for years; aside from an occasional toe-dip into it, it’s never taken off. Then, when I realized that there was a GLARING hole in the industry that was missing guys, masculine of center gals, larger girls, women of color, tattooed girls, boys in lipstick, couples – basically, anyone who isn’t female, thin, and white – I needed to get to work.

Naming a boudoir company is hard, though. The working title is Gentle Sting but I started to hate it, and now no friend can come over without being sucked into a brainstorming session (at least I keep wine in the house.) The above photo is of notes stuck to the door in my living room from about a week of fussing.

It needs to be naughty but not dirty, subversive without being obscure, and, most important (and most difficult): sexy but not feminine or masculine.

My instinct was to hold my cards close to my chest until a name was picked, but you guys did a great job with my middle name, so what say you? Any good ideas?

February 12th, 2014 | posted in blah blah blah,career | tagged

9 comments on 'Join the Brainstorm'

1. I love that you are expanding this genre of photography, I am not so skinny and would love to have pictures like this and if I lived anywhere near you would be singing up pronto!

For a name maybe Beautifully Exposed, not sure how masculine the word beautifully is to some but there it is.

2. margosita

12 Feb 14 at 10:14 am

I really like this idea, and am coming at it from the perspective of someone who thinks pretty much everything that tries too hard to be sexy ends up sounding cheesy, so I totally understand your dilemma!

I like the idea of something like “Boudoir For Every Body” the same way you use/say “photography for everyone!” but BODY specific.

What if you used a word with two asterisks on the end, in a nod to why the trans* community uses an asterisk. But two because your work isn’t specifically trans* oriented (but could be!) and because two asterisks would be a nod to naughty double/triple Xs. Maybe three asterisks then? Maybe that looks like too much?

Risque**

**Boudoir For Every Body

OR

Sting***

***Boudoir For Every Body

I like “risque” as being a part of whatever name you choose, especially with its connotations of something being “risky.” It can feel like you’re taking a risk when you sign up for a boudoir shoot! Especially for people who haven’t seen themselves reflected in that scenario, before.

Anyway! Those are my thoughts :) GOOD LUCK!

3. nikkiana

12 Feb 14 at 10:15 am

I’m terrible at naming things, so I’m no use…. but I totally need to buy new undies so you can take pictures of me in them!

4. Roobacca

12 Feb 14 at 11:42 am

Two suggestions:

1. I think you’re on the right track with balancing a “naughty” word with a word that suggests elegance, sophistication, and tastefulness. Using your sticky note system, you could list a bunch of words in each category, and play around with pairing them.

2. Do some historical research on the topic. You never know when you’ll stumble across a quotation or phrase that sums something up perfectly. Look into old advertising campaigns or pin-up catalogs.

5. Najla

13 Feb 14 at 12:03 pm

What about something with exposĂ©, or something like that? A name with ‘exposed’ or ‘exposure’ might be fun because it’s both a play on being revealing as well as photography. ‘Exposed Photos’ or ‘A Spicy Exposure’… Perhaps I’m biased because I like the way the word ‘expose’ sounds.

6. Lucia

14 Feb 14 at 10:32 am

Oh So Pretty.

7. Kris

23 Feb 14 at 12:17 pm

I was gonna say something along the lines of “Not your Mamma’s Boudoir Photography”. But then I thought, it IS your mamma’s, and your brothers, and your neighbors, and your friends and your lovers photography.

How about XYZ Photo? Think chromosomes… X and Y determine gender and Z could allude to other, and the X could play on x-rated as well.

8. Camille

23 Feb 14 at 8:29 pm

I like the “reveal” or “revelation” idea…
    Carnal Revelations Photography
    Reveal Your Risque Photography
    Risque Revelations Photography

And use Margosita’s suggestion Boudoir For Every Body as your tag line.

9. Tam317

24 Feb 14 at 9:24 pm

Of all the words that are posted, Peach stands out. But, your original name is awesome!